Kepos Street Kitchen, Waterloo (16 June 2015) - Revisit

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Initial aspirations trying the newly opened Kepos & Co turned south when I learned it's a $28/person set menu. No doubt you can already see two issues ... (i) price, (ii) being told what to eat.

Thus its back to sister cafe Kepos Street Kitchen (8/10) where yes, I need to refuel. Israeli-themed, rustic and 'premium' choices that embarrass my humble Sunday DIY efforts. Check out the chocolate tarts ... well worth the cost of 10 years life expectancy and my Monday lunch money.



No blackboard specials! I'm OK with a lack of rotation policy for the Aussie cricket team, but not so when a fleet of high-achieving chefs have such good access to seasonal produce.

Stomach real estate is highly prized. Mine deserves a low cost, high yielding ethnic tenant. Faith in male waiters takes a tumble when this one can barely make a recommendation. I embrace the 'dad' role with my selection.

Dad's Breakfast - falafel, hummus, labnet, egg and tomato salad - $17
This is all about falafel triplets. So crunchy you need to get inside to enjoy the nutty, pesto-tasting mixture. I do find deep-frying a turnoff and wanted more inside, less outside. Tastier than a Bankstown kebab store, not as good as Shenkin Kitchen.



I can translate the salad to be an oil-based soup with leaves, tomato and seeds. Because I hate over-dressed salads, I left them to drown.

Next up is a repeat offender on my palate. Cauliflower and turkey an unorthodox but great match.

Cauliflower fritters, chickpeas, cumin, smoked turkey breast and poached egg - $18
Borderline too expensive but hard to hate. I can never go back to a standard corn fritters again. These little gems emit a warmth and cheesiness than no wife nor husband can hope to replicate on a cold Sunday. Maybe KSK loves turkeys too much, because there was not enough in my pan.

Popping the yolk is again my weekly cleanse.



Pretty solid coffee too, love the mug.



These meals are incredibly dense and left me not-hungry for almost 2 hours! No easy feat for a humble guy in marathon training. The score downgrade is because the love-at-first-bite was lacking.

- Food - 8/10 - predictably solid delivery of flavour in a Middle-Eastern vehicle.
- Value - 6/10 - overweight portions but obsese high teens pricing.
- Other - 7/10 - nil value-add from the staff today, good meal turnaround.
- Overall - 7.5/10 - similar to my first visit, I left happy enough.

Key issue after two visits is little motivation to return for the hat-trick. KSK needs a menu rework or blackboard choices. Saying that, still remains a must-try for first timers.



Click to add a blog post for Kepos Street Kitchen on Zomato


You Might Also Like

0 comments